The east-facing frontage of the renovated Holm House Hotel
The recently re-opened Holm House Hotel in Marine Parade, Penarth has received a Food Standards Agency Rating of only 1 ( in a range from 0 to 5) for Food Hygiene.
The “Join the Party” UKIP Cafe in Glebe St also gets a Food Standards Hygiene rating of only 1
Other establishments to get the same low rating include Coffee #1 in Windsor Road, “Join the Party” – the UKIP Cafe / HQ in Glebe St – and Penarth Labour Club.
The FSA ratings are based on inspections by Vale of Glamorgan Food Standards officers who periodically examine all food-catering establishments. They assess food hygiene on the basis of :-
- How hygienically the food is handled – safe food preparation, cooking, re-heating, cooling and storage
- The condition of the structure of the premises – cleanliness, repair, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
- How staff manage and handle food to make sure food is safe
The highest rating for a fully-compliant establishment is 5 . The lowest is zero.
A Holm House steak – served on a wooden platter.
The “1” rating for Holm House Hotel was based on an inspection in December 2014 when the newly-renovated hotel was still in the process of running-up its operations . In a statement to the FSA, Holm House Hotel said it agreed with the inspection findings but said it had since carried out the following improvements:-
- A new management system has been implemented
- There is now a new manager and/or new staff.
- The staff have been trained/re-trained/given instruction/are under revised supervisory arrangements.
- The conditions found at the time of inspection were not typical of the normal conditions maintained at the establishment. A new wash hand basin has been installed in the coffee/servery area with hot water supply.
The hotel stated “Following our visit by Environmental Health we were extremely disappointed with the scoring on the day. However, we accept the findings and have immediately put in place a plan of action which has already addressed all of the issues which were in relation to some physical requirements and training and procedural issues for staff. With the hotel having just opened and a brand new team being put in place there were areas around our systems and ways of working that required improvement which were completed within days of the visit. The management and staff have undertaken further training on the food management systems following the visit and we are pleased to report that every area of concern has been fully addressed and we have full confidence in our food safe systems. ”
HIGHEST AND LOWEST IN PENARTH
Listed below are the FSA ratings for the Penarth establishments which scored the highest and the lowest ratings in the town. It includes only those in which members of the general public can walk in and buy meals and does not include those which scored 2, 3, or 4. This list does not include care-homes, schools, supermarkets, newsagents, and other institutions – many of which scored highly.
The top hygiene rating is “5”
The top Food Standards Agency score of “5” – the highest standard of hygiene – was awarded to :-
- Coffee Compass Ltd Penarth Portway Penarth
- El Puerto The Custom House Penarth Portway
- La Marina Restaurant The Custom House Penarth Portway
- Toby Carvery Barons Court Penarth Road
- Nicola’s Juice & Coffee Bar Penarth Pier
- Penarth Fish Bar 14 Cornerswell Road
- Penarth Athletic Club Lavernock Road Penarth
- Penarth Bowls Club Rectory Road Penarth
- The Pier Cafe 5 Pier Buildings Penarth Pier Esplanade
- Penarth Lawn Tennis Club, Rectory Road
- Penarth Pier Pavilion, Penarth Pier
- The Gallery at Penarth Yacht Club, Penarth Esplanade
- Penarth Leisure Centre Leisure Centre Andrew Road Cogan
- Bar 44 Tapas y Copas Windsor Road Penarth
- Brecon Lodge B & B 6 Kymin Terrace Penarth
- Cefn Mably Inn 1 Lavernock Road Penarth
- Celtic Lounge, 7 Windsor Arcade Penarth
- Cosmeston Cafe Cosmeston Country Park Lavernock Road Penarth
- Dotty Pots 6 Herbert Terrace Penarth
- David Lush, Glebe St Penarth
- Glamorganshire Golf Club Glamorganshire Golf Club Lavernock Road Penarth
- Greggs The Bakers 32 Windsor Road
- Harvester Schooner Inn Lavernock Road Penarth
- Magic Wok 31 Glebe Street Penarth
- Meat & Greek 147 Redlands Road Penarth
- Restaurant James Sommerin Esplanade Penarth
- Romeos By The Sea Esplanade Penarth
- The Albion 28 Glebe Street Penarth
- The Bears Head 37-39 Windsor Road Penarth
- The Busy Teapot Cafe 27 Glebe Street Penarth
- The New Pilot 67 Queens Road Penarth
- The Windsor Restaurant & Tea Room 1 Windsor Arcade Penarth
- Victoria Tea Room & Ice Cream Parlour 3a Cornerswell Road Penarth
Food Hygiene Ratings must be displayed where customers can see them
WORST RATINGS (1) : All the following have an inspection ranking of only 1
- Penarth Labour Club 98-100 Glebe Street Penarth
- Cottage Bakery, Cogan
- Bring a Buffet, Glamorganshire Golf Club Lavernock Road Penarth
- Coffee #1, 13 Windsor Road Penarth (see statement below)
- Holm House Marine Parade Penarth (see statement above)
- Join the Party, 15 Glebe Street Penarth (The UKIP Cafe)
- Paramount Tandoori Restaurant 5 Station Approach Penarth
- The Clive Arms 31 John Street Penarth
- The Windsor Arms 95 Windsor Road Penarth
Coffee#1 in Windsor Road was the only 1 -rated establishment to issue a comment to the Food Standards Agency apart from Holm House Hotel . Coffee#1 said it agreed with the inspection findings but had since carried out improvements. It said “The maintenance and equipments issues have been addressed and we are looking forward to our re-score. The conditions found at the time of inspection were not typical of the normal conditions maintained at the establishment. All of the issues have been fully addressed”.
Penarth Labour Club in Glebe St – which scored a rating of only 1 – is immediately opposite the UKIP Cafe – which achieved the same low rating.
Neither the Penarth Labour Club 98-100 Glebe Street Penarth or Join the Party (the UKIP Cafe in Glebe St) (which is across the street) have had any statements published by the FSA.
Foxy’s Deli – which appears on the FSA website with a 1 rating has since been upgraded to a 4 but the website has yet to be amended accordingly.
All the ratings were those which applied on February 25th 2014 and are the FSA’s most recently published data based on the most recent inspections – some of which may have taken place months ago.
To check on the current ratings of any individual food outlet go to the Food Standards Agency website on http://ratings.food.gov.uk/ and enter the details.