Penarth’s Turner Gallery – the Grade II Listed art galley gifted to the town by art collector and public benefactor James Pyke Thomson – has undergone a not-so-subtle change of colour with a new exterior paint finish.
The old rosy light-maroon/brick colour has now given way to a more in-your-face pink – or perhaps light puce – colour .
The exterior redecoration was undertaken by the National Museum of Wales – to which Turner House was handed over by Penarth Town Council in 1921 on the understanding that they’d run it as an art gallery and exhibit the original Turner paintings bequeathed to the town by James Pyke-Thompson.
Notwithstanding that agreement, the gallery was sub-leased to the charity Ffotogallery which only exhibits photographs there.
Background to the Turner House bequest is on PDN http://tinyurl.com/qc2hjdl
The first floor of Turner House is still minus its central light-well (now boarded-over) and surrounding handrail (now removed) which were taken out last year for the Artes Mundi exhibition when the first floor was turned into a blacked-out theatre for continuous multiple videos.
The first floor as it is today – can be seen in the photo below:-
Ffotogallery at Turner House is currently staging an exhibition of photographs by Jon Tonks called “Empire” exploring life on four remote islands – the British Overseas Territories of Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha, the Falkland Islands and St. Helena.