PENARTH LIFEBOAT CREWS RESCUED 75 PEOPLE IN 2015

Penarth lifeboat crew

Penarth lifeboat crew – and their support team – posing for the camera on Sunday. Six hours later both boats were in action for real in a large scale night search and a coastal rescue of four people (Photo Huw Evans picture agency)

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution has announced today that Penarth lifeboat crews rescued more people in 2015 than at any other inshore lifeboat station in Wales.

In its review of the past year the RNLI says that the two Penarth lifeboats – the Atlantic 85 Maureen Lilian and the smaller D Class lifeboat Connie Dains were launched on a total of 46 occasions in 2015 –  6 more launches than in 2015  .

Out to launch: The Atlantic 85 being driven down the launch slip earlier this week

“Out to launch”: The Atlantic 85 being driven from Penarth lifeboat station and down the launch slipway  earlier this week.

For Penarth – the RNLI says – it was a “consistently busy year” with the station’s two inshore lifeboats saving a total of 75 people –  more than anywhere else in Wales for an inshore station.

Barry Dock Lifeboat (NN file photo)

Barry Dock Lifeboat (NN file photo)

The big all weather Barry Dock lifeboat had double the number of launches in 2015 compared with 2014. She launched 45 times in 2015 .

The busiest station in Wales was Mumbles, with a total of 98 launches for the Tamar all-weather lifeboat and inshore lifeboat combined.  The Mumbles also rescued more people than anywhere else in Wales with 122 people rescued in 2015.

Across Wales in total the RNLI’s  lifeboats launched 1,058 times and rescued 1,029 people.RNLI lifeguards in Wales had another busy summer in 2015, responding to 815 incidents and assisting 901 people on 32 beaches.

HOW THAT PICTURE WAS TAKEN

The photo at the top of the page was taken by the Huw Evans picture agency - with the aid of a stepladder set up on the beach to provide an elevated viewpoint.

The photo at the top of the page was taken by Huw Evans of the Huw Evans Picture Agency  – with the aid of a stepladder set up on the beach to provide an elevated viewpoint of the assembled RNLI team.

 

About NewsNet

Penarth Daily News email address dmj@newsnet.uk . Penarth Daily News is an independent free on-line fair and balanced news service published by NewsNet Ltd covering the town of Penarth in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, UK. All our news items are based on the information we receive or discover at the time of publication and are published on the basis that they are accurate to the best of our knowledge and belief at that time.
This entry was posted in Penarth Daily News. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to PENARTH LIFEBOAT CREWS RESCUED 75 PEOPLE IN 2015

  1. Rachel says:

    The majority of which are morons who panic when the tide cuts them off on Sully Island rather than sit and wait for the tide to turn and walk back.

  2. Christopher David says:

    Excellent- well done Penarth Lifeboats. You deserve to be collectively put up for the citizens award the council have been discussing.

  3. elizabeth roberts says:

    Well done to the lifeboat crews – not so well done to the many silly people who have to be ‘rescued’ from Sully Island un-necessarily.

  4. Martin gossage says:

    Did I read this week that while they were searching for the person who apparently walked into the sea the lifeboat then rescued four people from Sully Island ? That would mean someone went onto the island around dusk?? Madness

    • AK says:

      The helicopter lifted the idiots from Sully Island on that occasion.

      The helicopter is taxpayer funded, unlike the lifeboat which relies on voluntary donations and crew.

      The water begins to cover the causeway at mid tide, just when the increase in tide height (and therefore the flow) is at its greatest, so anyone trying to cross risks getting swept off their feet within minutes. The lifeboat crew would rather go out to ferry someone back, than to be out all night to search and recover a body.

      Perhaps a bridge is the answer !

  5. Christopher David says:

    Millions spent on a bridge because of a few idiots. No. I wouldn’t even go to the expense of the helicopter unless it was children, and then I’d fine the parents to cover the cost. Let the fools have a spell on the Island- may reach them to read.

  6. Robert Jones says:

    If nobody got stranded or need rescuing they would have to do ?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s