SPRING SUNSHINE BRINGS CONTRACTORS BACK TO PENARTH ESPLANADE

A mechanical digger is bringing in more large boulders to extend and fortify the rock armour. Access to the beach will be closed at this point

A mechanical digger is bringing in more large boulders to extend and fortify the rock armour. Access to the beach will be closed at this point

With increasing numbers of visitors  coming to Penarth to enjoy the current spell of settled sunny weather,  contractors have re-appeared on the promenade to fence-off part of the Esplanade and close the Northern slipway.

There was considerable concern two years ago when contractors working for Welsh Water visited the Esplanade in 2014 – setting up a galvanised steel stockade on the sea front which remained in place all summer  and closing off access to the beach at the Northern end of the promenade.

Some of the equipment being used on the latest Welsh Water project on Penarth foreshore,

Some of the equipment being used on the latest project on Penarth foreshore,

Now another firm of contractors has turned up with a large mechanical digger with a view to working for at least a week on enlarging and extending the rock armour that was installed over the new sewage pipeline which was buried in the foreshore two years ago.

Welsh Water has denied that this new work the rock armour (which was originally laid by their contractors Morgan Sindall)  has anything to do with them . PDN now understands that the new sea-defence work at the North Slipway this week has actually been contracted by the Vale of Glamorgan Council – although no public announcement had been made by the council.

The signage on the fencing says the Ove Arup contractors are working on a coastal path near Caldicot 15 miles North of Penarth

The signage on the Penarth Esplanade fencing says the contractors are working on a coastal path near Caldicot 15 miles North of Penarth. It turns out it’s fencing from a previous job and nothing to do with that project or the firms named on the placards.

The fencing that’s now been erected on the Esplanade however originally bore notices informing promenaders that the contractors were actually building a coastal path in the Caldicot area – many miles away.

It turned out that this was because the fencing had come from a previous job being done in Caldicot by different contractors and the placards were wrong. One workman explained they hadn’t got around to updating their signage just yet. The incorrect signage was later removed .

The last time the slipway was closed by, Penarth Coastguard had to rescue nine people who were trapped on the beach at high tide and who had been  unable to scale the formidable and very slippery Welsh Water-installed  rock armour  to reach safety.

As a result Penarth Coastguards then insisted on being issued with keys for the stockade so that they could access the beach in an emergency.   It’s not known whether any similar safety arrangements have been made this time.

 

About NewsNet

Penarth Daily News email address dmj@newsnet.uk . Penarth Daily News is an independent free on-line fair and balanced news service published by NewsNet Ltd covering the town of Penarth in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, UK. All our news items are based on the information we receive or discover at the time of publication and are published on the basis that they are accurate to the best of our knowledge and belief at that time.
This entry was posted in Penarth Daily News. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to SPRING SUNSHINE BRINGS CONTRACTORS BACK TO PENARTH ESPLANADE

  1. whatsoccurin says:

    you could not really make it up-I recall the Saturday evening in 2014 when suddenly the site which had been quiet all day suddenly became a hive of activity-it was like the Public Information film-“look they are waving Petunia”-in fact it was walkers who could not get on to the Promenade from the coastal walk-Coastguards attended and eventually the Contractors employed a night watchman until the work ended.

  2. anne says:

    This is the only access to the beach for disabled people. Shame if access is blocked permanently. Doesn’t the town council have a say? Don’t we have a say? Of can welsh water do as it pleases?

  3. Cllr. Anthony Ernest - Councillor for Penarth. says:

    Anne – the Town Council was not consulted, nor were the Local Councillors it seems.

  4. anne says:

    Hope you will protest then. The town council should be consulted first.

  5. Ivor Bagman says:

    Hopefully they will repair
    The problem causing
    Obnoxious smells from
    Penarth’s drains !

  6. sjleworthy says:

    thats better🙂

    the Prom isn’t the Prom without major works going on. and just in time for the summer too! thanks chaps.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s