The Labour-run Vale of Glamorgan Council has unveiled what it describes as its proposed “improvement objectives” for the next 12 months – a year which will be the heavily-criticised administration’s final year in office prior to the May 2017 council elections.
As far as most electors are concerned, the Vale Council should have been facing re-election next month (May 2016) – having been elected in 2012 for what would normally have been a four-year term of office.
The Vale Labour administration’s term of office was, however, arbitrarily extended by the Welsh Government for an extra year because of the possibility of local authority mergers – which, in fact, have yet to take place.
This leaves the Vale Council in a position where it has the legal right to continue in office for a further 12 months, but has no actual public mandate to do so. That’s because when Vale voters went to the polls in 2012, it was on the basis of the council being elected for 4 years – not 5.
The Vale Council has set out its objectives for the coming year as :-
- “Reducing poverty and social exclusion”
- “Promoting regeneration, economic growth and employment”
- “Raising overall standards of achievement”
- “Encouraging and promoting active and healthy lifestyles“
- “Delivering” what the council calls its “transformational programme ‘Reshaping Services'” [a council term which means cutting services ] “to meet the future needs of citizens of the Vale of Glamorgan, within the context of unprecedented financial challenges”.
There is no mention in the 2016/17 “objectives” of any ambition to reduce Council Tax.
Anyone can tell the council what they think of these proposed “improvement objectives” by writing to the council, emailing or phoning in. The deadline for responses is tomorrow April 8th 2016.
A word of warning though for those considering telephoning the council. There is long recorded message to listen to before reaching an operator, and today the operator had never heard of any such public consultation.
Vale Council Phone Number: 01446 700111
Address: Freepost RTGU-JGBH-YYJZ,Consultation Corporate and Customer Services,The Vale of Glamorgan Council,Civic Offices,Holton Road,Barry, CF63 4RU