Members of Penarth Yacht Club have been turning-to to re-paint the ten venerable Victorian sliding-doors on the ground floor of the listed building.
As no sailors are slouches when it comes to slapping on a fresh coat of paint – and club volunteers have been busy sanding, priming and preparing the distinctive boathouse doors
Traditionalists need have no worries about the grey colour that’s supplanting the traditional navy blue – that’s just the undercoat . The approved navy gloss will be going on on top of that to match the barley-sugar-twist cast-iron columns that support the balcony and verandah above.
Members reckon that the wooden sliding doors – and the rail mechanism from which they’re hung – are part of the original design of the Grade II Listed building.
Penarth Yacht Club was actually founded in 1880 as ” Penarth Boat Club” . The clubhouse was built in three stages in 1884, 1885 and 1886.