Cllr Stuart Egan has been formally elected as the new Mayor of the Vale of Glamorgan by Vale councillors – succeeding gaffe-prone Cllr Fred Johnson. [See http://tinyurl.com/nbq98ue%5D
Cllr Egan (Labour Buttrills Ward Barry) is the current Deputy Leader of the Vale of Glamorgan Council and is also the ‘cabinet’ member for Adult Services.
The new Deputy Mayor of the Vale of Glamorgan is to be Cllr Eddie Williams (Llantwit First Independents Llantwit Major Ward ). The Llantwit First Independents Party formed a coalition with Labour in 2012 which keeps the Labour Party in power in the Vale of Glamorgan.
When the pair were originally nominated for their respective roles as Mayor and Deputy Mayor there was criticism from Cllr Richard Bertin (Independent, Court Ward Barry ) who refused to support the nominations .
Cllr Bertin had said the role of Mayor in the Vale of Glamorgan was ” no longer cost effective when you consider it costs around £65,000 per year to keep them in office just to raise around £13,000 for charity per year. “
Cllr Bertin went on to say “The mayoral role is merely ceremonial and, if you ask me, old-fashioned. The Leader of the council could pick up most of the work including visits and opening new venues etc. One must now ask do we now really need a Mayor in 2016?”
The Vale Council has also nominated the members of its so-called ‘cabinet’ who will be its so-called “champions”:-
- Anti-Poverty Champion – Cllr Neil Moore (Leader)
- Armed Forces’ Champion – Councillor A.G. Powell
- Biodiversity Champion – Cabinet Member for Visible, Leisure and Regulatory Services
- Carers’ Champion – Cabinet Member for Housing and Social Care and Health
- Diversity Champion – Cllr Neil Moore (Leader)
- Equalities Champion – Cllr Neil Moore (Leader)
- Older People’s Champion – Councillor S.C. Egan
- Safeguarding Champion – Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education
- Superfast Broadband Champion – Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education
- Domestic Violence Champion – Cabinet Member for Housing and Social Care and Health