A planning application has been submitted to build two new four-bedroomed houses in the grounds of the Penarth mansion “The Lindens” in Bradford Place, Penarth.
The Vale of Glamorgan Council’s planning department however has ruled that the application is considered “invalid” as it does not include a proper “design and access statement” .The scheme has been submitted by architects in Gwaelod y Garth.
“The Lindens” – which stands on the corner of Bradford Place and Beach Lane – was originally the home of the shipping magnate Thomas Morel who lived there with his wife Susanna and their five children from 1880.
The Morels lived at the Lindens in some style. They adopted a rule that all the “live-in staff” (servants cooks etc) were to be female and all the “outside staff” (gardeners and coachmen) were to be male.
The entrance to the house once featured a lodge which was designed to look like a Swiss chalet but which was demolished some years ago.
The two brothers Philip and Thomas Morel had originally come to Penarth from Jersey and were involved importing Jersey potatoes to South Wales.
They acquired their first steam ship, SS Colstrup , in 1876 and built up a near-monopoly of the trade in iron from Bilbao to South Wales and exporting coal from South Wales to Brest and Nantes . By 1903 the Morel Line had a fleet of 33 ships on its books.
Philip Morel built an even larger house in Penarth than his brother Thomas’s “The Lindens” . This was a huge red-brick edifice called “Penarth House” which once stood on a four-acre plot at the southern end of Marine Parade. It was demolished many years ago.