NO “PICNIC PENARTH” TO BE HELD THIS AUTUMN

The "Picnic Penarth" logo at Station Approach in April 2016. There is to be no autumn event this year.

The “Picnic Penarth” logo at Station Approach in April 2016. There is to be no autumn event this year.

“Picnic Penarth”  – the popular outdoor street-food event –  will not be taking  place this autumn.    

 Picnic Penarth was originally launched on September 5th 2015 with a second – larger –  Picnic event – taking over the whole of Station Approach in April this year  which ran from 18:00 on Friday April 15th  to 21:00 on Sunday April 17th .

Warm sunshine, great food, music, straw-bale seating and cold beer were all part of the crowd-pulling appeal of the 2015 Picnic Peanrth.

Warm sunshine, great food, music, straw-bale seating and cold beer were all part of the crowd-pulling appeal of the the first Picnic Penarth held in September 2015. There is to be no event this autumn.

Instead of holding a Picnic this autumn – 12 months after  the original event – it’s now proposed to hold  two “Picnic Penarth” events in the course of 2017 .

The Town Clerk of Penarth Emma Smith

The Town Clerk of Penarth Emma Smith

The Town Clerk Emma Smith told Penarth Town Council’s Leisure and Amenities Committee last night that  the reason the event had been deferred until next year was to “ensure the sustainability of Picnic Penarth and to allow time for officers to plan the next event and to allow approaches to be made to potential sponsors”.

The Labour-controlled Vale of Glamorgan Council is not providing any further funding for the Picnic Penarth. As a result of this, Penarth Town Council needs to find a budget of £2,000   in order to fund the development of further ‘Picnic’ events and obtain sponsorship to underwrite the costs.

The Town Clerk said the event had “done a lot of good for Penarth” and it would be a “good investment” for it to continue .

Cllr Gwyn Roberts (Labour St Augustines)

Cllr Gwyn Roberts (Labour St Augustines)

The Mayor of Penarth and Leader of the Council Mike Cuddy (Labour St Augustines)

The Mayor of Penarth and Leader of the Council Mike Cuddy (Labour St Augustines)

Cllr Gwyn Roberts (Labour St Augustines)  said he was aware that a similar food event in Cardiff “could have detracted from ours”  . He said there had been two “hugely successful” Picnic Penarth events  and it would be a shame if the council attempted to do another one which would be “compromised by other things” so he was glad to see it delayed.

The Mayor of Penarth Cllr Mike Cuddy (Labour St Augustines) said he thought the decision to defer the autumn Picnic Penarth was “eminently sensible”.

The Leisure and Amenities committee endorsed the recommendation to defer the next event until 2017.

About NewsNet

Penarth Daily News email address dmj@newsnet.uk . Penarth Daily News is an independent free on-line fair and balanced news service published by NewsNet Ltd covering the town of Penarth in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, UK. All our news items are based on the information we receive or discover at the time of publication and are published on the basis that they are accurate to the best of our knowledge and belief at that time.
This entry was posted in Penarth Daily News. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to NO “PICNIC PENARTH” TO BE HELD THIS AUTUMN

  1. Anne Greagsby says:

    But no cancelled events in Barry? Seems Barry is the focus for PenarthVale cllrs. No flowers.. No picnic…what’s next for the chop?

  2. Sue Tasher says:

    As a very popular exhibitor since Penarth Picnic was launched, Pickled Peepper were very disappointed to learn that the Penarth picnic would not be happening in September 2016. I know that our consultant chef Anand George is extremely busy in September attending the street food circus in Cardiff, and slightly worried about how this event would affect Penarth Picnic.
    We were still ready and waiting and really looking forward to serving our loyal and new customers from Pickled Pepper, what a shame. I do hope that it continues with the sucess it deserves. Penarth town council committee members have worked so very hard each year ensuring everything was safe and secure for exhibitors and the piublic. Well done Penarth Council for all their effort to bring such a well attended and successful event to Penarth. We look forward to attending another event in 2017 thank you every one for their support we look forward to feeding you next year
    Sue Tasher Pickled Pepper Penarth

  3. Frank Evans says:

    How is liz Burnett’s twitter postings going. I bet they are all about Barry. She has no time for penarth.

  4. Louise says:

    What?! Build on the existing great event, using feedback from traders and punters and choose an annual date that doesn’t clash with other local events. Simples.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s