South Wales Police have discounted earlier reports that large numbers of youths were on the streets of Penarth again on the night of October 8th – in the wake of the previous Saturday’s armed clashes between rival gangs of youths from Cardiff and from Barry (which resulted in 4 serious injuries and at least 5 arrests) .
On Penarth’s Victoria Road at 23:00 last night yet residents witnessed a lot of police activity but South Wales Police have now told PDN [on Monday October 10th] that the number of youths was small compared with the numbers encountered the previous weekend.
A Victoria Road resident had said he had been told by a police officer here had been 300 youths involved in a melee last night – but police have now discounted this account.
A knife was later found thrown into the front garden of a house in Victoria Road – evidently by someone attempting to dispose of a weapon and this has been recovered by the police.
South Wales Police made no comment on the situation in Penarth over the weekend. No press statement was issued – and only on Monday night was the position clarified.
The early part of the Saturday evening (Oct 8th) evening had passed off peaceably with no obvious sign of increased police presence on the streets – although some police vehicles were in evidence in the town centre.
Penarth Railway station was closed and the train service suspended because of maintenance work. Buses were ferrying rail passengers to and from Cardiff . (Most of the youths involved in last week’s fracas are understood to have travelled to Penarth by train.)
PDN sources say the Saturday night massed and armed gang-fights have now become regular Saturday-night events.
The gates of Penarth Athletic Ground – scene of serious and violent clashes last weekend – were still open after 20:00 and some youths could be seen loitering in the large and unlit grassed area but it now seems there was no repeat of the violence which occurred seven days earlier.