Six candidates are in contention for the vacant Gibbonsdown (Barry) seat on the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
The seat became vacant at the end of August following the resignation of disgraced Vale of Glamorgan Labour councillor and former Vale Council ‘cabinet’ member Rob Curtis.
Curtis had pleaded guilty last year to common assault on a 17-year-old girl during a birdwatching session on the island of Skomer Pembrokeshire.
His case had been reviewed by the Ombudsman for Wales and – prior to resigning – he had been suspended by the Adjudication Panel for Wales for bringing the council into disrepute .
The six candidates standing for election in the “safe” Labour Gibbonsdown seat are:-
- Julie Aviet of Barry (Welsh Labour)
- Jennifer Geroni of Barry ( Welsh Liberal Democrats)
- Dennis Bernard Harkus of Barry (Independent )
- Shirley Hodges of Barry (Plaid Cymru) Mrs Hodges is a Plaid councillor on Barry Town Council)
- Robin James Hunter-Clarke of Cowbridge (UKIP Wales)
- Leighton Rowlands of Barry (Welsh Conservative)
The by-election is to be held on Thursday November 3rd. The successful candidate in this by-election will receive a salary of £13,300 p.a .
Former councillor Curtis also resigned his seat on Barry Town Council. A Barry Town council by-election will be held on the same day as the Vale by-election.