SIX CANDIDATES IN CONTENTION TO SUCCEED DISGRACED VALE LABOUR COUNCILLOR

One of these seats is up for grabs on the Vale of Glamorgan Council

One of these seats is up for grabs on the Vale of Glamorgan Council

Six candidates are in contention for the vacant Gibbonsdown (Barry)  seat on the  Vale of Glamorgan Council.

The seat became vacant at the end of August following the resignation of disgraced Vale of Glamorgan Labour councillor and former Vale Council ‘cabinet’ member Rob Curtis.

Former Vale of Glamorgan Councillor Rob Curtis quit in August this year after being suspended.

Former Vale of Glamorgan Councillor Rob Curtis quit in August this year after being suspended.

Curtis had pleaded guilty last year to common assault on a 17-year-old girl during a birdwatching session on the island of Skomer Pembrokeshire.

His case had been reviewed by the Ombudsman for Wales and – prior to resigning –  he had been suspended by  the Adjudication Panel for Wales for bringing the council into disrepute .

The six candidates standing for election in the “safe” Labour Gibbonsdown seat are:-

  • Julie Aviet of Barry (Welsh Labour)
  • Jennifer Geroni  of Barry ( Welsh Liberal Democrats)
  • Dennis Bernard Harkus of Barry (Independent )
  • Shirley Hodges of Barry (Plaid Cymru) Mrs Hodges is a Plaid councillor on Barry Town  Council)
  • Robin James Hunter-Clarke of Cowbridge (UKIP Wales)
  • Leighton Rowlands of Barry (Welsh Conservative)

The by-election is to be held on Thursday November 3rd. The successful candidate in this by-election will receive a salary of £13,300 p.a .

Former councillor Curtis also resigned his seat on Barry Town Council. A Barry Town council by-election will be held on the same day as the Vale by-election.

 

About NewsNet

Penarth Daily News email address dmj@newsnet.uk . Penarth Daily News is an independent free on-line fair and balanced news service published by NewsNet Ltd covering the town of Penarth in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, UK. All our news items are based on the information we receive or discover at the time of publication and are published on the basis that they are accurate to the best of our knowledge and belief at that time.
This entry was posted in Penarth Daily News. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to SIX CANDIDATES IN CONTENTION TO SUCCEED DISGRACED VALE LABOUR COUNCILLOR

  1. Kevin Mahoney says:

    I assume that you haven’t noticed that UKIP’s candidate, Robin Hunter Clarke is a current serving councillor for Skegness South on Lincolnshire County Council.

    Listing a different home address in Skegness on Lincolnshire county council website and I’m sure that his current ward residents in Skegness will be less that pleased that the bloke they elected works most of the time in the Welsh assembly for Cash for Questions Hamilton and is standing for election in Barry despite being paid to represent them on Lincolnshire council.

    I must confess that I’ve never come across a current serving councillor on one council standing for election on another council 260 miles away before.

    His 33% attendance record on his Lincolnshire council page doesn’t bode well for Gibbonsdown residents either.

  2. Christopher David says:

    If he stacks up just go for the intendant. Must get away from the bias as far as possible.

    • Woowoo Wizzywoo says:

      I think he means ‘independent’. The poor, naive lad believes an independent candidate would automatically be an unbiased candidate.

  3. Christopher David says:

    Sorry Typo. Meant to say independent. I think spell check flipped me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s