Smoke from a smouldering pan triggered an evening fire alarm at Penarth Pier Pavilion last night .
A private birthday-party was being held on the premises under the supervision of Pavilion staff when a cooking pan, which had some food residue in it, apparently started to burn – emitting enough smoke to set off the Pavilion’s automatic fire alarms.
Pavilion Director Nadine Simmons and cafe manager Diane quickly had matters under control – but Penarth Fire Brigade is always automatically tasked to attend if an electronic smoke alarm signal is triggered on commercial or public premises.
The incident was all over by the time the fire engine arrived. South Wales Fire and Rescue said the incident was caused by a “sensitive kitchen fire-alarm” .
Pier Pavilion staff all take part in routine regular fire drills . The original Bijou Pavilion at the seaward end of the pier was destroyed in a disastrous fire in August 1931 – but fortunately last night’s incident amounted to nothing more than a burned pan.