THEFT OF DINAS POWYS RESIDENTS’ NAMES COULD BE “MALICIOUS”

The master list was circulated around the 200 people attending the packed public meeting in Dinas Powys last week. When everyone had written their details on it - the list disappeared

The master list was circulated around the 200 people attending the packed public meeting on the By Pass in Dinas Powys last week. When everyone had written their details on it – the list disappeared

A thief appears to have deliberately made-off with a list of  the personal contact details of  every one of 200 people who attended last week’s jam-packed public meeting –  held to campaign for the building of a by-pass around Dinas Powys.

Every person who attended the meeting was asked to add their names and contact details to a list – which was circulated on a clipboard around the full-to-capacity Dinas Powys Parish Hall on Tuesday last week.

The proposed route of the Dinas Powys by-pass. The Vale Council conceded it "would partially address" traffic issues - but the decision was still "No"

The proposed route of the Dinas Powys by-pass. The Vale Council conceded it “would partially address” traffic issues – but the decision was still “No”

The contact details on the list were to have formed the basis of a non-political group being established to campaign for the long-awaited by-pass – a scheme which is being opposed by the Labour Party and the Labour-controlled Vale of Glamorgan Council.

Meeting organiser Rod Harrod says  it had been intended to hand the master list over to an independent committee to be set up like the successful “Saving Sully” group . He says “It would have needed to be properly organised. Then everyone could have paid subscriptions like they do in Sully. It would need a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Media Secretary, Function Manager and around ten Committee Members”  . Now the theft of the document has delayed the process.

In the non-political public meeting there was an overwhelming vote in favour of the by-pass - and it was hoped this would initiate a campaign group

In the non-political public meeting there was an overwhelming vote in favour of the by-pass – and it was hoped the momentum would be continued by a specially formed local campaign group

The list was seen in Dinas Powys Parish Hall being passed from person to person  – and certainly reached the back of the hall –  indicating that the vast majority of people present had added their names and contact details to it. But after that, it disappeared

Cllr Vince Driscoll of Dinas Powys Community Council  said “We’ve been told who had it but we don’t want to get into a political or legal spat. This isn’t the kind of politics most people want to have. The person may have taken it by mistake or in mischief or even maliciously. But they should realise they are causing damage to the community,

One theory is that the document may have been deliberately stolen to hamper attempts to set up the main non-political pro-By-Pass Campaign.

In the meantime it’s understood that two other – potentially rival –  petitions now been initiated in the village in the wake of last week’s meeting. However no one is accusing the organisers of these other petitions of having purloined the main list from the public meeting

Rod Harrod of Dinas Powys Conservatives says the other petitions have been organised by people just trying to jump on the bandwagon for their own egos and everything else”

Meanwhile Dinas Powys Conservatives –  who set up last week’s public meeting – are re-doubling their efforts to continue the momentum of the public meeting by distributing new petition forms to most shops in the village.

The non-political petition – reads “We the undersigned  call on the National Assembly for Wales to urge the Welsh Government to supply the necessary funding and support the construction of a Dinas Powys By-Pass” .

Anyone wishing to join the (new) official mailing list can email comit.cymru@yahoo.com and will then be kept up to date with the latest developments .

Meanwhile the search for the missing master list continues…

About NewsNet

Penarth Daily News email address dmj@newsnet.uk . Penarth Daily News is an independent free on-line fair and balanced news service published by NewsNet Ltd covering the town of Penarth in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, UK. All our news items are based on the information we receive or discover at the time of publication and are published on the basis that they are accurate to the best of our knowledge and belief at that time. Comments posted on the site by commentators reflect their opinions and are not necessarily shared, endorsed or supported by Penarth Daily News.
This entry was posted in Penarth Daily News. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to THEFT OF DINAS POWYS RESIDENTS’ NAMES COULD BE “MALICIOUS”

  1. rod says:

    Anyone wishing to add their names to the petition for the Dinas Powys By-Pass on the Official National Assembly of Wales website can do so – in English or Welsh – by clicking one of the link beneath. Please make sure everyone completes individual entries. And ask your friends, relatives, work associates, customers, everyone…It will also help if you can circulate the links to everyone on all your social media accounts. Thanks. This is the Christmas Present for the Community.

    https://www.assembly.wales/en/gethome/e-petitions/Pages/petitiondetail.aspx?PetitionID=1099 – Eng

    https://www.assembly.wales/cy/gethome/e-petitions/Pages/petitiondetail.aspx?PetitionID=1099 – Cym

  2. Penileaks says:

    Blame Putin or Brexit, it’s bound to be one of them 🙂

  3. This is a clear breach of the Data Protection Act. Has this been reported to the ICO?

  4. snoggerdog says:

    the games afoot watson,the case of the missing list.

Comments are closed.