Vale of Glamorgan Labour councillors – including some from Penarth – have emerged badly from an independent attendance-survey carried out by Penarth Town Cllr Anthony Ernest (Conservative Plymouth Ward)
His independent survey (made by trawling through the minutes of all 7 Full Council meetings held in 2016) has been carried out in the wake of the Vale Council’s unwillingness to publish councillors’ attendance data since 2012 – or even for last year .
The data shows that, out of only 7 Full Council Meetings held in 2016, the 47 salaried councillors [who between them share a total annual salary bill of £826,310] had an absenteeism rate of between 4% and 14% .The figures do not include the several council committees or the meetings of the Vale’s 5-person ruling “cabinet” .
Cllr Ernest says the survey “shows up some interesting facts” , and indicates that “Labour has a bad record, especially in Penarth, whilst Plaid also has some absentees, as do the Conservatives mainly in the rural areas of the Vale”.
Another issue is the failure of some councillors to present their formal apologies (as they should do) when they fail to turn up at meetings.
These are the dates of last year’s meetings of the “full” Vale Council – i.e. the meetings at which all 47 councillors should normally be present – and the names indicated on the minutes which record who was absent.
January 25th 2016
- 7 Councillors out of 47 Absent
- Those Absent were: Bertin (Independent Barry), Janice Birch (Labour Stanwell) , Rhiannon Birch (Labour Cornerswell), Keith Hatton (Plaid Dinas Powys), Maureen Kelly-Owen (Cons Plymouth Ward), B. Penrose (Independent Sully), Mark Wilson (Labour Stanwell)
March 2nd 2016
- 3 Absent out of 47
- Absent: Audrey Preston (Cons St. Brides), Steffan Williams (Plaid Baruc Barry), Mark Wilson (Labour Stanwell)
March 10th 2016
- 3 Absent out of 47
- Absent: Jeff James (Cons Rhoose), Mark Wilson (Lab Cornerswell) + 1 AN Other
April 27th 2015
- 5 Absent out of 47
- Absent: Janice Birch (Labour Stanwell ), Clive Williams (Cons Plymouth Ward) , Mark Wilson (Labour Stanwell)
July 20th 2015
- 2 Absent out of 47
- Absent: Keith Hatton (Plaid Dinas Powys), Steffan Williams (Plaid Baruc Barry)
September 26th 2016
- 6 Absent out of 47
- Absent: John Drysdale (Labour Illtyd Barry), Keith Hatton (Plaid Dinas Powys), Hunter Jarvie (Cons Cowbridge), Rhona Probert (Labour Illtyd Barry), Ray Thomas (Cons Llandow/Ewenny).
15th December, 2016
- 4 Absent out of 47
- Absent: Chris Elmore (Labour Castleland Barry) who is also MP for Ogmore, Audrey Preston (Cons St. Brides), M. Wilkinson (Labour Barry), Chris Williams (Independent Dinas Powys).