A blue plaque – similar to those installed on buildings associated with prominent or historic people – is to be installed on the external walls of Penarth Masonic Hall in Stanwell Road to mark the establishment of Freemasonry in Penarth in 1878.
The plaque was displayed to members at a special ceremony by the Provincial Grand Master of South Wales Freemasons, Gareth Jones OBE, prior to its being attached to the outside wall of the building .
The hand-painted plaque bears the Provincial Crest of South Wales Freemasons, the Tercentenary dates 1717 -2017, and carries the inscription “Freemasons have held meetings in Penarth since 1878″.
The plaque denotes the 300th anniversary of the establishment of Freemasonry in South Wales and the foundation of the first lodge in Penarth in 1878.
The current Penarth Masonic Hall in Stanwell Road was opened 90 years ago – prior to which local Freemasons met in the lodge building at Station Approach (subsequently the British Legion) and also in a house near the Railway Pub. There are 160 lodges in South Wales – 9 of which are based in Penarth.
The installation of the new “blue plaque” is part of a national scheme celebrating 300 years since the formation of the United Grand Lodge in 1717.
This blue plaque is not to be confused with a similar “blue plaque” scheme originally mooted by Penarth Town Council in 2007 but which remained dormant until 2013 when the council proposed re-activating it.
The council scheme was to mark buildings associated with prominent individuals in the town. The location of each plaque was to be determined by a panel representing the Council, the Penarth Civic Society and the Penarth Local History Society.
The plaque erected by Plaid Cymru on the former home of party founder and convicted arsonist Saunders Lewis was not a council-sponsored plaque.