The old Monty Smith car showroom at 56 Windsor Road, Penarth may not be demolished after all – and could be converted into a new retail store.
The firm which has applied for the retail classification for the Monty Smith building is PMG 3 Ltd. which is understood to be a subsidiary of PMG Estates – a prominent Cardiff-based property development firm responsible for several big retail developments in the area including the popular 480,000 square feet Capital Retail Park at Leckwith – near Cardiff City Football Ground.
Local residents have been wondering why there’s been such a long delay in re-developing the site of the former garage and car showroom – once known as Monty Smith’s Motoring Centre.
Last year PMG made an application to the Vale of Glamorgan Council to demolish the building and clear the site potentially to build one or two brand new retail units on the site.
Estate Agents Cooke and Arkwright went as far as creating an artist’s impression on what the proposed new units would look like.
That image showed two retail units side-by-side occupying the site with a forecourt adjoining Windsor Road The properties were to be leased to retailers for 15 years and would have been amongst the largest shops in Penarth .
In the meantime a demolition notice (right above) was attached to fencing on the site indicating that work on tearing down the building would be starting in October 2016 ….but nothing happened.
Now an application for what’s called “Class A1” use [ i.e. an ordinary retail shop or department store ] for the existing building – implying that the showroom will won’t be knocked down after all – and will now be refurbished and become a big shop, supermarket or department store .
The Monty Smith Car showroom has a huge retail space at first floor level. That was created when the late Monty Smith bought the old Windsor Kinema and installed an enormous mezzanine concrete floor at first floor level for use as a car showroom. The concrete floor and its substantial support columns beneath was designed to be strong enough to support dozens of cars.
The original Windsor Kinema was purpose-built as a cinema in 1914 by the Willmore Brothers and succeeded the Windsor Hall (which had originally been built by the Congregationalists in 1883). The Windsor Kinema was in operation until 1958 when it was bought by Monty Smith and redeveloped as the eponymous car showroom.
The front facade of the cinema was removed to create the petrol station and forecourt- but the main auditorium remained – and had the huge concrete floor built inside it at first floor level for the car showroom.