The Vale of Glamorgan Council has now confirmed that the former Monty Smith car showroom and garage at 56 Windsor Road can be used for “A1” retailing – (a category which includes supermarkets and department stores) .
Thbe council says that “sufficient evidence has been submitted to demonstrate that, on the balance of probability”, the use of the ground and first floors of the property for an A1 use, is regarded as “permitted development” under the Town and Country Planning Order 1995.
The site is owned by the Earl of Plymouth Estates who had originally leased it to Kibbor Cinemas for operation as the Windsor Kinema. In 1959 the premises were sub-leased to the Smith Brothers (who at that time ran the Victoria Garage at Cornerswell Road ) for use as a car showroom.
Consent for A1 use of the premises means they can be used :-
- (a) for the retail sale of goods other than hot food,
- (b) as a post office,
- (c) for the sale of tickets or as a travel agency,
- (d) for the sale of sandwiches or other cold food for consumption off the premises,
- (e) for hairdressing,
- (f) for the direction of funerals,
- (g) for the display of goods for sale,
- (h) for the hiring out of domestic or personal goods or articles,
- (i) for the reception of goods to be washed, cleaned or repaired,