The new Conservative administration in the Vale of Glamrogan Council appears to be reverting to a 7-member cabinet in place of the 5-member cabinet which ran the old Labour Vale Council in its latter days.
Although no official announcement has yet been made, a leaked version of the list of new members of the cabinet is already doing the rounds.
The seven-strong cabinet – according to the “leaked” list – are all Conservative members except for Bob Penrose (Independent Sully) who is said to be taking on the Education portfolio :-
- John Thomas (Rhoose) (Leader)
- Hunter Jarvie (Cowbridge) (Deputy Leader)
- Gordon Kemp (Rhoose) (Social Services)
- Bob Penrose (Independent Sully) (Education)
- Geoffrey Cox (Cowbridge) (TBA)
- Andrew Parker (Cowbridge) (TBA)
- John Bird ( Wenvoe) (TBA)
An official announcement – with the definitive list – is to be issued later this week. The original speculative leaked list – published this morning – contained errors and wrongly included the Vale Mayor and Deputy Mayor – who are not cabinet members.
Subject to approval at Wednesday’s Annual Meeting of the council it’s proposed to pay il pay a total of 15 so-called “Senior Salaries” . There are also 2 “Civic Salaries” which would be received by the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, as set out below:-
- Cabinet Members – 7
- Group Leaders (in respect of Groups comprising 10% or more of the total membership of the Council) – 1
- Scrutiny Committee Chairmen – 5
- Chairman of Planning Committee -1
- Chairman of Licensing Committee – 1
- Vale Mayor – 1
- Vale Deputy Mayor Deputy Mayor -1.
It is yet to be established whether the council’s Annial Meeting on Wednesday June 24th is being streamed live on the internet.
It is also not yet known whether Vale Council cabinet meetings of the new Conservative Vale cabinet are to be streamed live on the internet – something which the outgoing camera-shy Labour administration consistently refused to do – despite the £350,000 investment made in tv facilities in the council chamber.