Penarth Town Council is considering increasing the hire charges for the Paget Rooms, the Kymin and in West House – the council’s headquarters in Stanwell Road.
Tonight Penarth Town Council’s new Venues, Facilities and Events committee is to debate a recomendation from the Town Clerk to increase hire charges – including those for weddings all three venues.
The report says there hasn’t been a “significant increase in hire charges for many years “ and that the running of all three venues is being subsidised by the Penarth Town Council Precept – which this year was hiked to record levels by the council’s Labour-run administration.
It’s proposed that the Mayor’s Parlour at West House is charged out at £20 an hour with a £10 an hour rate “available at officer’s discretion” .
West House has been provided free of charge to the Labour Party for use by Labour MP Stephen Doughty for so-called “constituency surgeries” – and for Vale of Glamorgan Labour councillors.
As the council report makes no mention of this ‘free use for the Labour Party’ concession , council-tax payers can only assume it will continue for another 5 years. No other political party is granted free use of West House . Conservative councillors hold their public surgeries at the Conservative Club next door . Meanwhile other West House charges are being increased:-
- Charges for weddings/ civil-ceremonies at West House are to cost £175 per 90 minutes (weekdays), £200 for Saturdays and £275 for Sundays
- From now on the Citizens’ Advice Bureau is to be charged for its use of rooms at West House on Thursday mornings.
- The hourly hire charges for the Paget Rooms are to rise to £24 an hour (Monday to Thursday) and £30 an hour Friday to Sunday.
- There is to be a show-week rate for 6-day of exclusive hire of £1750 (commercial) and £1500 non commercial.
- Filming is to cost a minimum of £600 for 3 hours
- Penarth Town Council will retain an option to run the bar at events/shows taking 80% of net profit
- Weddings/civil ceremonies at the Paget Rooms will cost £300 for weekdays and £350 for Saturdays and £500 for Sundays.
- Hire rates will be £11.50 per hour per room for “community use” whereas private and commercial use will cost £13:50 per hour
- Filming will cost £600 (three hours minimum) with extra charges for use of the front lawn
- Weddings/civil ceremonies at the Kymin will cost £300 for weekdays and £350 for Saturdays and £500 for Sundays.
The council says all the increases are necessary for the “continued viability of Town Council premises” .