The Vale of Glamorgan Council is to consider a scheme for the conversion of the first and second floors of Nos 1-3 Stangate House – in Stanwell Road Penarth – into four luxury apartments.
Stangate House is a 1980s office building and charity-shop complex and was built on the site of one of Penarth’s most spectacular churches – Christchurch United Reform Church.
Christchurch – a Gothic-style church designed by Havershon and Fauckner had a spire which was 110 feet high. It had been opened in 1897 in a ceremony attended by over 600 people including the noted Welsh composer Dr Joseph Parry and his family . The demolition of this noted local landmark within the Penarth Conservation Area – much of which took place on a Sunday morning – provoked widespread outrage in Penarth.
The 1st and 2nd floors of the modern yellow-brick Stangate development – which was built on the site of Christchurch – currently comprise office suites. Under the new plans they would be converted into 4 self contained apartments.
Off-road parking would be provided for 6 vehicles at the rear of the site.
Under the planning application proposals the shops on the ground floor would remain in situ. They include the George Thomas Hospice charity shop named after the disgraced former Labour MP for Cardiff West who was once Speaker of the House of Commons. Thomas (a.k.a. Viscount Tonypandy) died in 1997. In 2015 South Wales Police began investigations into 3 complaints of historic alleged child abuse against Thomas but ended the probe in March this year without result.