Ten members of the Labour-controlled Penarth Town Council appear to be withholding their telephone numbers from local residents who may want to get in touch with them.
The entire 16-member Town Council was elected in May this year but the contact telephone numbers of only 6 members are being displayed on the council’s own website – although, before the elections, ALL councillors’ phone numbers were available on the site.
It’s not known whether the phone numbers of the 10 incommunicado councillors are have been left off the council website because of an oversight by council officers or because of the specific instructions of the 10 councillors themselves
There is little point in so-called “twin-hatted”councillors who are also members of the Vale of Glamorgan Council attempting to withhold their personal phone numbers on the Penarth Town Council site because ALL Vale councillors’ home or personal phone numbers are all openly displayed on the Vale of Glamorgan Council website .
The councillors who are now “incommunicado” – as far as the Penarth Town Council website is concerned – are :-
- Cllr Rhiannon Birch (Labour Cornerswell) – (NUMBER NOT DECLARED on Penarth Town Council website but is revealed on Vale Council website as 07720 063539)
- Cllr Laura Rochefort (Labour Cornerswell) (NUMBER NOT DECLARED )
- Cllr Ben Gray (Conservative Plymouth Ward)- ((NUMBER NOT DECLARED on Penarth Town Council website but is revealed on Vale Council website as 07701 372544)
- Cllr Kathryn McCaffer (Conservative Plymouth Ward) – ((NUMBER NOT DECLARED on Penarth Town Council website but is revealed on Vale Council website as 07701 372545)
- Cllr Angela Thomas (Labour Plymouth Ward) (NUMBER NOT DECLARED )
- Cllr Martin Turner (Conservative Plymouth Ward) (NUMBER NOT DECLARED )
- Cllr Gary Allman (Conservative St Augustines) (NUMBER NOT DECLARED )
- Cllr Yvonne Murphy (Labour St Augustines) (NUMBER NOT DECLARED )
- Cllr Ellie Evans (Labour Stanwell Ward) (NUMBER NOT DECLARED )
- Cllr Jon Luxton (Labour Stanwell Ward) (NUMBER NOT DECLARED )
Those Penarth councillors whose personal phone numbers DO appear on the Penarth Town Council website are as follows :-
- Cllr Ian Buckley (Labour Cornerswell) 07968154892
- Cllr Ken Lloyd (Conservative Cornerswell) – who is Mayor of Penarth 02920 710011
- Cllr Mike Cuddy (Labour St Augustines) who is Leader of the Council 029 20702742
- Cllr Liz Fahy (Labour St Augustines) 07932047323
- Cllr Nigel Humphrey (Labour St Augustines) 07393121700
- Cllr Mark Wilson (Labour Stanwell) 07908143412
The whole reason for having councillors’ phone numbers freely-available is to enable local residents to contact them easily . Many members of the public either don’t use emails or find that some councillors don’t respond to emails .
Having councillors prepared to take phone calls also saves constituents from the need to traipse all the way to the Penarth Council HQ at West House on Stanwell Road for one of the Labour Party’s so-called “surgeries” on a Saturday morning.
One Penarth resident told PDN “If councillors don’t want to talk to members of the public on the phone, why on earth did they stand for election?”