The Police and Crime Commissioner for South Wales Alun Michael has now called on Welsh Labour Government First Minister Carwyn Jones to spell out in detail the allegations made against sacked former children’s minister Carl Sargeant.
Mr Sargeant apparently took his own life after Carwyn Jones fired him last Friday as a minister and suspended him from the Labour Party.
Mr Sargeant is understood to have killed himself on Tuesday this week – without ever being told exactly what he was being accused having done – and without receiving any support or assistance from the Labour Party.
Alun Michael – who is himself a former Welsh Assembly First Minister (technically “First Secretary” in his day) – has now publicly called on Carwyn Jones to spell out the allegations made against Mr Sargeant – at least one of which had already been dealt with and which dates back several months.
Mr Michael – who lives in Penarth and is the former Labour MP for Cardiff South and Penarth – said “Carl was a superb minister, one of the best ministers I’ve ever known in any government – UK or in Wales – and he was one of the most effective people I’ve ever known,”
Carl Sargeant, who was apparently suspected of – and summarily dismissed for – the unwanted touching and “groping” of a number of women had – according to Alun Michael – “made Welsh Government a world leader in tackling violence against women and girls”. Michael now asserts that the allegations against Carl Sargeant were made by three women who had alleged “unwanted attention, inappropriate touching or groping” – all of which are accusations which Mr Sargeant had apparently totally denied.
The former First Secretary went on to say “It may have been entirely appropriate that [the matter] was referred not to civil servants, but to the Labour Party, but that depends on the nature of the allegations and that’s why it’s so important for the family, for the friends, for everybody involved in political life in Wales, to know exactly what it was that was alleged” .
Alun Michael says Carl Sargeant was not offered the pastoral care that he needed.
UPDATE : It emerged that on Thursday, November 9th there had been a graffiti attack on the home of First Minister Carwyn Jones – thought to be the work of Labour Party zealots. Police set up a watch on the his home in a leafy suburb of Bridgend.
On Friday night the enfeebled First Minister found himself with no choice but to cave-in to growing demands for an independent inquiry to be held into Carl Sargeant’s death – whilst clamour grew for his resignation over his maladroit mishandling of the matter.
The independent inquiry will led by an as yet un-named “senior QC”. The family of Carl Sargeant and their legal representative has said they want the inquiry to discover “the reasons for the serious failings in following the correct procedures practices and protocols and the reasons for the complete abdication of responsibility and duty of care that was owed to Carl”.
The First Minister – looking like a frightened stag at bay – had attempted to kick the issue into the long grass by saying that the inquiry should not begin until the inquest was completed – a delaying action which could take many months. Now, however, the Welsh Labour Government is to take what it describes as “further advice on this matter.”