The stand-off between the gipsies – illegally camped on the parking ground at Cliff Walk – and the Vale of Glamorgan Council continues into its fourth day today with – so far – no sign of the travellers backing-down or pulling-out.
As reported by PDN on Monday this week, the illegal encampment was set up late on Sunday evening when half a dozen luxury caravans were towed into Cliff Parade parking ground – despite notices at the entrance expressly forbidding parking by caravans and banning overnight camping.
The encampment is within a just a few yards of some of the most expensive homes in Penarth in Cliff Parade and Plymouth Road
The Conservative leader in the Welsh Assembly Andrew R T Davies (South Wales Central) says “Public land is there for the enjoyment of everyone – and an illegal occupation of this nature is completely unacceptable. Such behaviour cannot be tolerated – and it is vital these trespassers are removed as soon as possible.”
Mr Davies has gone on to say “It is not fair that a public car park – there for the use of local people – has had to be closed. We should not have to put up with anti-social behaviour of this nature – and the disruption and distress it causes.”
He says “Tough action must be taken and an example made – so that we can deter similar camps from being set up across the Vale” and adds that it’s important “a message is sent that such actions will not be tolerated”.
There has as yet been no comment from Stephen Doughty, (Labour MP for Cardiff South and Penarth) nor from his close colleague Vaughan Gething (Labour AM for Cardiff South and Penarth).
Cllr John Thomas, Leader of the Vale of Glamorgan Council said: “The occupation of Council land in this way is completely unacceptable. The area was not designed for this purpose and the presence of this group is preventing other law-abiding residents from using it. We are taking this matter extremely seriously and are doing everything possible to ensure it can be resolved as quickly as possible.”
Inspector David Barclay of Penarth police station said “South Wales Police is aware of concerns regarding travellers at Clifftop Parade and is working with the Vale of Glamorgan Council to appropriately manage the situation.”