Permanent memorial stones have been unveiled and dedicated at Penarth’s garden of Remembrance – at Rectory Road – to honour the memory of 2 of Penarth’s 3 recipients of the Victoria Cross – Capt. Richard Wain and Sgt. Samuel Pearse.
The event was part of this weekend’s commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Aermistice which brought the First World War to an end.
Both the two Penarth soldiers were posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross but neither of their names appears on the Roll of Honour in St Augustine’s Church.
The names of the two heroes, Captain Richard Wain and Sergeant Samuel Pearse, do however appear together on the Alexandra Park War Memorial (see below).
However , for some reason, the two VCs were only late-additions to the Alexandra Park monument and their names do not appear in alphabetical order with all the others. Sgt Pearse in fact was not killed in WW1 but died in a campaign in North Russia in August 1919.
In addition to the dedication of the memorial stones honouring the two VCs, a commemorative Rowan Tree, presented by Penarth Civic Society, has also been planted at the Garden of Remembrance.
Tomorrow (Sunday November 11th) the full Remembrance Sunday wreath-laying will take place at the Garden of Remembrance followed by a procession to St Augustine’s Church where the Remembrance Service will be held.
In another short service on Cliff Walk a commemorative oak has been planted as a living memorial to all those who lost their lives, those who supported the war effort, and those who survived.
[ PDN Note: Penarth’s third VC, Wing Commander Guy Gibson – the leader of the “Dambusters” in WW2 – has not been included in the Garden of Remembrance memorials – but his name is recorded on the newly restored Penarth Cenotaph in Alexandra Park and at Penarth Council’s HQ at West House]
Today (Saturday November 10th 2018) All Saints Church is open for an exhibition of the “32” – the 32 members of the congregation who died in WW1.
The exhibit illustrated above records the all-too-brief life of former Stanwell School pupil Ernest Llewelyn Rees. He studied at Stanwell School – then the County School – until 1914 and then went to Cardiff University but was killed in action in Flanders in 1918.
The exhibition is being augmented by the “Stanwell School Pop-Up Museum” which was first displayed in Penarth yesterday.